Firefly Books Ltd., marking its 46th anniversary in 2023, is Canada’s largest independent book publisher, serving North America and the English-speaking world from its headquarters in Richmond Hill, Ontario, just north of Toronto.
Firefly produces high-quality non-fiction books for readers of all ages. The company’s mission is to depict the world in full-colour, beautifully illustrated and designed books, created by the best authors, artists and photographers in their fields. Firefly’s strengths are in nature and wildlife conservation, practical science, astronomy, sports, crafts, healthy living, gardening, cooking, reference and children’s books. Firefly published Robert Munsch’s wildly popular classic, Love You Forever (with 36 million copies in print), and the best introduction to amateur astronomy available, Terence Dickinson’s Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe (nearly 1 million in print with a new, completely updated edition releasing fall 2023).
Firefly Book’s many top-selling new and backlist titles are available at chain booksellers, mass merchants and independent bookstores across Canada, the United States and the UK—and online. Firefly is familiar to media across North America, and the United Kingdom: book excerpts and author profiles have appeared widely in respected news media, radio and online.
Firefly Books is seeking an energetic and imaginative professional publicist to plan, direct and implement all consumer-oriented publicity and media coverage in Canada, the United States (the company’s biggest market) and help with the UK. This involves crafting and deploying campaigns for Firefly’s new titles each spring and fall season, as well as maintaining the ongoing presence of Firefly’s extensive and popular backlist. The successful candidate will be a point of contact to authors, partners, and the media, and will take on traditional marketing opportunities where applicable.
This role oversees a selection of award submissions in coordination with the Director of Library Sales and works closes with the US and Canadian Sales Directors for strategizing, planning, reporting, and supporting key titles.
The Digital Marketing Manager reports to the Director of Publicity and together they oversee all social media strategy and implementation for Firefly Books’ many accounts.
- Delivers creative, innovative and integrated publicity and marketing campaigns to maximize book sales and grow author and brand awareness.
- Delivers all campaigns and initiatives within agreed timelines and budgets.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with media across all platforms in Canada, the U.S., and U.K.
- Delivers exceptional author care throughout the life of a campaign and beyond.
- Works with festivals and event organizers to secure author appearances.
- Effectively communicates publicity and marketing campaigns to all key stakeholders both internal and external.
- Stays informed about new publicity and marketing insights, developments and opportunities.
- Works closely with the Social Media and Marketing Manager to craft innovative campaigns for key titles.
- Proactively identifies and builds partnerships for key titles, brands and authors.
- Experience in Publicity and/or marketing books (trade).
- Experience in devising, building and managing publicity and/or marketing campaigns.
- Proven record of media outreach and follow-up, pitching to multi-platform media, building and maintaining important relationships in print, online and broadcast.
- Strong relationship-building skills, internally and externally.
- Experience working directly with authors, media-coaching where necessary.
- Innate curiosity and interest in a wide variety of interests including nature, cooking, science, astronomy and so on.
- Experience with social media campaign strategy, deployment, and results tracking.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong writing skills: ability to write accurate, focused media releases and marketing materials.
- Strong copyediting skills: Ability to proof own work and the work of others.
- Well-organized with great attention to detail.
- Self-motivated; able to contribute to a team atmosphere and voice creative ideas.
- To perform this job successfully, must have proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, understand the media landscape in North America as well as popular social media platforms, be familiar with Meltwater media database, and some experience using design apps like Canva.
- Proficiency in French a definite asset.
- Access to a vehicle recommended.
- Must be willing to do occasional travel.
A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including benefits.
Please apply by email with your cover letter and résumé no later Friday, September 22, 2023 and send it to Cathy Hoshino: [email protected]
We thank all interested applicants for taking the time to send in their application, however, we will only be responding to the candidates who will be interviewed.