The new Pepsi logo and visual identity – which continues to roll onto store shelves—now anchors the revived music video commercials in the intro and end cards of each classic spot, including:
- Tina Turner’s “Taste For Pepsi” (1986): Known around the world as the “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll”, Tina Turner had an unmistakable voice, that was roaring across airwaves around the globe, making her one of the best-selling recording artists of all time.
- Robert Palmer’s “Simply Irresistible” (1989): Palmer’s breakout hit topped the music charts, becoming one of the most listened-to songs of the decade, leading him to win his second GRAMMY Award.
- Madonna’s “Like A Prayer” (1989): Following three back-to-back multi-platinum albums, the “Queen of Pop” created a hit single that was released as a single ahead of her now certified quadruple platinum album “Like A Prayer.”
- Ray Charles’ “The Right One Baby” (1991): As one of the most important influences on popular music for over 40 years, Charles used his instantly recognizable voice to deliver the ever-so-popular catch phrase “you got the right one baby.”
- Britney Spears’ “The Joy of Cola” (2001): Dubbed in the early millennium as the “Princess of Pop”, Spears was well on her way to becoming one of the biggest popstars in the world, following her debut album in 1999.
The original spots of Madonna’s “Like A Prayer” and Spears’ “The Joy of Cola” have not been aired on national television in full since their original runs, over 30 and 20 years ago, respectively, making the 2023 VMAs the perfect stage for Pepsi to re-debut them. Pepsi has a long history at the VMAs, showing up consistently at the show for decades, including the recent premiere of the Pepsi-Cola Soda Shop music video inspired by the film “Grease” in 2021.
“Over the years, Pepsi has clearly established itself as an innovative brand with a deep heritage of ‘firsts’ in music – from inventing the first-ever marketing jingle, to being the first brand to turn commercials into music videos. So, as we celebrate Pepsi’s 125th birthday, it is only fitting that we partner with the MTV Video Music Awards to celebrate some of the most iconic Pepsi music videos from our past,” said Todd Kaplan, Chief Marketing Officer – Pepsi. “We are excited for a new generation to experience these epic commercials with our newly refreshed logo and visual design alongside pop icons like Britney Spears, Madonna, Tina Turner, Ray Charles, and Robert Palmer. From Madonna’s ‘Like a Prayer,’ to Britney’s ‘Joy of Cola,’ to Ray’s ‘The Right One Baby,’ there are some absolutely epic and memorable tracks that are sure to have everyone singing along.”
Beginning today, fans can watch all five revived spots on the Pepsi YouTube channel right now here.
To stay current on the latest news around the Pepsi 125th celebration, please follow Pepsi on Instagram, Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), and Threads (@Pepsi) or visit Pepsi.com/125 for more information.
Pepsi® Brand 125th Anniversary Campaign
Since its inception in 1898 in New Bern, N.C. Pepsi® has evolved into one of the most iconic global consumer brands and remains a staple of pop culture and consumer enjoyment. Now through December 31, Pepsi will celebrate its 125th anniversary over the course of the 125 days leading up to New Years Eve. #Pepsi125 will honor the brand’s legacy, both past and present, while looking ahead to the next 125 years as the brand enters a new era with a celebrated new visual identity. To stay informed on the brand’s 125th anniversary celebration, fans should follow Pepsi on Instagram, Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), and Threads (@Pepsi) and visit Pepsi.com for more.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers more than one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $86 billion in net revenue in 2022, driven by a complementary beverage and convenient foods portfolio that includes Lay’s, Doritos, Cheetos, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Mountain Dew, Quaker, and SodaStream. PepsiCo’s product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including many iconic brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.
Guiding PepsiCo is our vision to Be the Global Leader in Beverages and Convenient Foods by Winning with pep+ (PepsiCo Positive). pep+ is our strategic end-to-end transformation that puts sustainability and human capital at the center of how we will create value and growth by operating within planetary boundaries and inspiring positive change for planet and people. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com, and follow on X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn @PepsiCo.
SOURCE PepsiCo Beverages North America